Cuddington and Sandiway Tennis Club

The History of the Club


Now…….

Situated on the village playing fields, the club boasts a long tradition of welcoming players of all ages and abilities. With six excellent hard courts (four floodlit), a small pavilion and the use of a practice wall, we can offer tennis throughout the year, daytime and evening.

Senior clubnights are held weekly on Mondays and Thursdays and Junior clubnight is supervised every Friday from April to October. Additional social play is organised during the year, such as themed clubnights and American-format tournaments. We enter a number of senior and junior teams in the mid-Cheshire winter and summer leagues also and run an annual senior and junior tournament.

The club coach organises group coaching for all ages and standards and is also available for individual or small group coaching for members.

Then.....

In 1928/9 the Cuddington & Sandiway Women’s Institute was interested in founding a tennis club. A sanitary inspector for Northwich RDC offered the free use of a fairly small field where the bowling green is now situated. Subsequently, Captain George Wilbraham of the Delamere Estate provided a large field in Mill Lane on a 21 year lease. The courts, of course, were grass and the pavilion was purchased for a total cost of £ 200.00 – the building was described as being “complete with full central heating, kitchen and ladies and gents’ cloakrooms and a fully glazed front looking over the courts and a lovely local view beyond”!

From 1930-51 the club operated from the Mill Lane site and the pavilion was also used for Parish Council meetings, a temporary school and as a canteen for American and other troops based at Delamere Park during the war. Unfortunately, Captain Wilbraham did not re-new the lease and so the club was homeless by the early 1950s.

In 1958 the playing fields on Norley Road were purchased and the tennis club donated its cash balance of £ 90.00 to the Playing Fields Management Committee enabling two new hard courts to be constructed in 1960. Despite early membership growth the club failed to thrive and in 1965 membership levels were so low that the club was unable to pay its annual rent to the Playing Fields Association and folded. However, by the early 1970s renewed interest and funding enabled the construction of two additional courts and by the 1980s the club boasted a membership of almost 200.

And Now……

In the mid 1980s a new coaching initiative was launched and by 1990 membership had more than doubled. Over 200 members were taking part in Saturday coaching, two mornings were dedicated to ladies’ tennis, 100 juniors were attending junior clubnight and several junior members were represented in Cheshire County squads. As a result of its success, the club was awarded a substantial grant by the Sports Council and, with the support of the Parish Playing Fields Association and the Parish Council, were able to construct an additional two courts and install floodlights on four of the courts.